Philosophy Hope in a Jar Moisturizer


I know Hope in a Jar by Philosophy is a popular moisturizer but I still wanted to do my own review. I like having my reviews documented in one place so I can have an organized set of my opinions on products I've tried.

Now that I told you that pointlessness, let's move on to the review...


I bought the special edition Hope that Oprah gave away as one of her most favorite things. So this one's box has a little Oprah on it:




Hope says that it's for all skin types. I have oily, acne-prone skin and this moisturizer works well for me. It's not oily or heavy and it doesn't clog pores--I didn't have a single problem with any new breakouts from using this product.

The back label boasts these points (and I've made some notes on each):

Contains the ester of lactic acid for exfoliation to help promote smooth, healthy skin
I use a glycolic acid exfoliator right now and so that definitely out-performs Hope on that note, so the additional exfoliation benefits of this moisturizer kind of go unnoticed to me. I can't make a solid comment about just how much exfoliation you get from this.

Contains beta-glucan to help give your skin a healthy, rosy glow
I'm not sure that I have a rosy glow but I would definitely agree that my skin looks less dull since I've started using Hope.

High-performance moisturizer with antioxidants to help protect against environmental attack
No comment here.

Results may be seen within a few days
It didn't take long for me to see the positive changes (which I go into below...), I would agree that a few days will give you enough time to see the benefits.


It's super light and creamy. When I first tried it, I hated the smell. It's a really subtle smell but it's there. However, I think I've come to associate the smell with being clean and well-moisturized and so now I'm digging it. Weird how that works... I wouldn't be put off by the smell (if you were to test it out in the store before buying) because I got used to it and it doesn't linger anyway.


Putting this moisturizer on feels so light it's as if you were spreading water on your skin--that's a HUGE reason why I love this moisturizer. I thought my previous simple moisturizer (Johnson & Johnson Purpose moisturizer) was light but once I started using this, it made my old moisturizer feel heavy!

As far as moisturizing goes, it does the job for me for sure. Even though I'm oily, I will occasionally experience dry, flaky skin and this took care of that almost in one go.

When I first started using this product, I had a period of dry, flaky skin due to a different product I'd been using and to remedy that, I just used a little more Hope than I normally would on the flaky area and my skin balanced back out after a day or two and I haven't had a problem with flakiness since.

Another great benefit from this product was how it reduced my skin's shininess. Usually once I have my makeup on, I need several touch-ups during the day but I only need 1 or maybe 2 with this moisturizer. My cheeks on either side of my nose are prone to getting oily and shiny throughout the day and Hope has totally changed my oil output and I adore it for that! Nothing worse than looking like a slick, hot mess in your makeup. Yuck.

The jars come in 2, 4 and 8oz. This jar I have is a 4 ouncer and it's tons of product because you don't need a lot of this moisturizer. A thin layer keeps my skin well moisturized all day.

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Undeniably consider that which you stated. Your favourite reason appeared to be on the internet
    the easiest thing to bear in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get irked at
    the same time as other folks think about concerns that they
    plainly do not recognize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , other folks can take
    a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

    Here is my blog pokemon 162

    ReplyDelete