Philosophy Release Me Eye Makeup Remover


This is the first eye makeup remover I ever tried. Now, at this point in my life, I've tried a total of two. I used to just use olive oil and that seemed to work fine but let's explore the world of Philosophy again...
I was an idiot. I tend to often either not read bottles or skim them too quickly. My initial thoughts with this product were "wow, for an oil-free makeup remover, this is awfully oily." Well boys and girlies, this is a "dual phase" makeup remover and the first line of directions on the back of the bottle read "shake well."

Oh. You're supposed to shake it. This should have been obvious from the two layers of liquid that would just lay on top of each other but give me a break! It's usually late when I remove my makeup and I'm just worried about how long it's going to take before I can finally crawl into bed.

But. It looks like this at first and you definitely need to shake it:


Duh. Okay. Moving on.

Once you shake it, it gets rid of the oily-but-not-oil feeling which I like because I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't like any kind of oiliness on my face if it can be avoided.

Shake shake shake and then I'd use a cotton pad... It would take maybe two swipes at the most to remove my eyeliner and eyeshadow on a normal day. It takes a few more to get rid of most of my mascara. It works even better if you really go to town on your lashes.

Okay so let me stop there and say I love the feel of it removing my shadow and liner (as long as it wasn't MAC superslick liner--this one takes a little more effort to remove). But when it comes to cleaning my lashes, I'm sometimes left with raccoon eyes after I've showered and slept due to leftover mascara. Bummer.

I've tried rubbing at my lashes and stroking the pad along them--from lid to the end of the lash but I'm usually left with a bit of mascara no matter what. This isn't an issue so much if I really cleanse my lashes and then shower because usually I can either lose the rest in the shower or I'll be able to easily wipe it away after I get out of the shower. But I can see how a lot of people don't want to have to remove their eye makeup after using an eye makeup remover, I mean, hello! What's the point of the freakin' remover?


That all being said, it is extremely gentle on the eyes and does a pretty decent job besides the follow-up with the mascara. Like I said, I haven't tried a lot of removers so maybe this is commonplace? I don't know.

All in all, I keep using this because I bought it and it's there and it's gentle but pretty hard working. Would I buy it again? No. But I find eye makeup remover prices to be a bit hefty and that's what really stops me. It's hard to put much money into something that I could easily replace with some EVOO (olive  oil) from my kitchen. So, consider that when you're plunking down twenty bucks for a bottle of remover.

Rating: 2.7/5

You can find this at Sephora, Amazon, Drugstore.com.... It costs $18.

No comments:

Post a Comment