Awake Make-Up Remover for Eyes & Lips (And a Bit About Parabens)



I scooped up this make-up remover simply because it was highly rated at beauty.com. I don't know if that carries any weight what so ever but at the time, it seemed like a good enough reason.

Well.

It wasn't a good enough reason, as it turns out.


I'll start with the packaging--which is one thing about this product that I love. It comes in a blue glass bottle. The design of the bottle looks somewhat soothing if that makes sense with the blue and the logo and all that crap.

The product itself... Hm, I like the consistency of the liquid. It's not oily, which I like because I don't particularly like the feel of oil going on anywhere on my face. However, this might be part of the reason it doesn't work very well too--because the product in action kind of sucks depending on what you're removing.

Eyeshadows and pencil liner remove really easily without any rubbing, using a small amount of product. However, mascara doesn't want to budge as easily and I found myself repeatedly rubbing the cotton pad over my lashes which I didn't like. It also did not want to remove my MAC superslick liquid liner and I had to rub to get it all off.

Furthermore... Let me step into a realm where I don't really know what I'm talking about. Ingredients:



It contains Methyl Paraben which I don't know anything about specifically but I do know that most people tend to try to stay away from parabens. I did a little googling for myself and anyone who doesn't really know what the deal is and found this:
[Parabens] have been found in biopsies from breast tumors at concentrations similar to those found in consumer products...
Parabens appear mostly in personal care products that contain significant amounts of water, such as shampoos, conditioners, lotions and facial and shower cleansers and scrubs. While concentration limits are recommended for each paraben, these recommendations do not account for the use of multiple parabens in a single product or for exposure to parabens from several products by a single individual.
... parabens are linked to cancer, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity, immunotoxicity, neurotoxicity and skin irritation. Since parabens are used to kill bacteria in water-based solutions, they inherently have some toxicity to cells
Of greatest concern is that parabens are known to disrupt hormone function, an effect that is linked to increased risk of breast cancer and reproductive toxicity. Parabens mimic estrogen by binding to estrogen receptors on cells. They also increase the expression of genes usually regulated by estradiol (a form of estrogen); these genes cause human breast tumor cells to grow and multiply in cellular studies.
Source 
 So remember, I don't know anything about Methyl Paraben specifically and that is what is in this product. If anyone can shed more light on parabens in the comments, that would be awesome. From what I've read on other blogs about parabens, though, it's enough to make me stay away from them in the future. Just a little something to keep in mind.

It costs $15 and you can get it from Beauty.com. Quite pricy for something like this, I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment